Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It was a dark and stormy night...




There aren't too many nights when I don't shed a tear or two lately, either from missing Dad, or being exhausted, or just being lonely. It was around 2 am, as I was wiping my face with my bedsheets, when my cell went off. I was thinking it must be my alarm, as I fumbled to unplug it from its charger. The voice on the other end was Eric's, saying my name and telling me that she had no injuries, that he had just seen her in the ambulance, and that I should not "freak out."

And yes, thank God, she was fine. Not even a scratch. She didn't realize she'd even hit the utility pole until the trooper mentioned it in the ER, as he cited her for failing to control. It was probably a combination of losing sight of the edge of the road and hydroplaning. No distractions, except for the new Emimen cd playing. One flip, and she was hanging upside down by her seatbelt, reaching for her phone. Coins (saved up for tolls for the NYC trip) were everywhere, all over the road, mixed in with the broken glass in the car - yeah, they'd broken all the windows to get her out.

She'd only made one payment on the car, and you don't want to know what IT looks like. Unscrewed the Maine license plates and left it. No wallet - never found it. Cancelled credit cards, scrounged around for documents to get a OH driver's license, so she could get the loaner at Enterprise. Oh, did I mention I got a ticket (!) picking up her HS transcript at Mason Central School Dept. (wrong way on the one-way - screw Mason cops!). Had a few things on my mind....

And now she's left this morning with Eric, to take him back to Juilliard, and then back to Maine, and hopefully a fresh start. I know I could use one.

7 comments:

  1. Scary! Glad she is OK...vehicles can always be replaced but people can't. Sending good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((HUGS)))) I am so glad that she is okay, I only wish that I could give you the hugs in person. Take care Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that she is okay, but sad to hear you are so sad.

    Hope things get better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the phone call I fear in the middle of the night, or any time of the day actually. So glad the only injured party was the car. Put it behind you, it's the only thing you can do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad no one was hurt. Who is "she"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that's the nightmare call that every mother fears. I am glad she is ok but so sorry that happened.
    (((HUGS))) to you Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to us. We do hope you will at least indicate you stopped by. Happy Stitching!