Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Game


Most of you know that I am a HUGE Red Sox fan. Most Mainers are. Somehow, through the grace of God, I managed to be in attendance at Game 6 of the 1975 World Series at Fenway. Seeing as I have now lived in Cincinnati for over 20 years, the irony is inescapable. I’ve been told I’m like Dustin Hoffman in “Rainman” about it: “Game 6, Game 6, Game 6….”.

Needless to say, I was literally beside myself when my daughter called me to say she had purchased two tickets to a game on July 27th. It was totally unexpected and a wonderful surprise. Since she has been at school at UMaine , she has become a huge fan as well, and had never been to Fenway. So, we were going to have a great day in Boston. COULD NOT WAIT !!

We decided to take the Amtrak Downeaster from Portland at around 6 am, which would get us down to North Station by about 8:30 and we would have the whole day ahead of us, until the 7:10 game. It worked out perfectly. We did the Duckboat tour, where even I learned a lot. The tour guide did start calling me “Google” for short though.

Here are a few of the best shots during the tour (the first is us on the early-can you tell?- train to Boston):

After the tour,we took the T to Fenway, immediately signed up for the Fenway Park tour at 1:00, then went to get something to eat. We bought a few souvenirs and soaked up the ecstatic atmosphere all around Fenway and Yawkey Way. We were playing Oakland and were sure to win.

It was a hot day in Beantown and the crowds for Gameday were building already. The tour was wonderful, and included the Budweiser Deck, the Green Monster and many many facts. Since we were members of Red Sox Nation, we got to get into the park extra early for batting practice, which we watched atop the Green Monster. Afterwards, we found our way to our seats, just behind the Pesky Pole. They were great seats and we enjoyed every minute of it, as our own video can attest. And, yes, we won !!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important to us. We do hope you will at least indicate you stopped by. Happy Stitching!